Tuesday, January 31, 2012

~applesauce~



Apples
Cinnamon
Lemon Juice
Brown Sugar
Water

No recipe or measuring needed anymore because I've made it so many times.  Each week it tastes a bit different depending on what I have on hand or want to try.  Last time I added a splash of vanilla and really enjoyed the flavor.  
   
Just slice, peel, add, stir, and let the apples break down in your crock- pot for a few hours until it looks *just right*.


I like to wait until late in the afternoon to start my batch. That way, come supper time, I can spoon some into bowls while the slices are still holding their shape and we have a nice side dish.  After dinner I mash and break up the left over apple goodness into the consistency I like.  Sometimes I leave it chunkier than other times. I carefully spoon this mixture into a quart jar and let it cool before putting it into the fridge.  Then we have applesauce to enjoy all week long. My youngest would eat the whole jar in one sitting if I let him.  It's just that good!  


One week it might be sweeter or more tart depending on if I throw in a few extra varieties that batch. I typically use either McIntosh or Empire for the base and then add any extras to that. 

Never disappoints!  The added bonus... the wonderful aroma left stirring through the house all night and into the next morning.  

Do any of you make your own applesauce? 
Any special ingredients you've used to give it a kick?
Please, do share...

 

3 comments:

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

I've never made my own before, but this sounds simple & delicious! Thanks for sharing. :)

Michele said...

This makes me want to try to make my own applesauce. Thanks for the recipe and helpful hints!

Laura Emily said...

yum! Can't wait to try it out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...