Monday, June 25, 2012

~500 water balloons and one hot mama~



What do you do when your air conditioner breaks down over the weekend and you have the smart idea (maybe it'll be cheaper??) to wait until Monday to call for service?  You head to the store, of course, for a bottle of 500 water balloons!  Trust me... takes your mind off of the 90 degree temps in one toss and burst. 
Temporary relief, but we'll take it!

We came home Saturday from a travel baseball game to find the house at 86 degrees and the a/c running constant, just not cooling the house.  Needless to say, this mama has been a bit grouchy for a few days. As I sit here now, we are still waiting on our local service guy to be here "later this afternoon" to fix it.  We're finding comfort in eating lots of salads, watermelon, grilling out instead of using the stove or oven, and running 5 fans constant to get the air flowing.   Only problem is, the air that is flowing is really, really hot air!  I'm trying hard to think back to times before people had this luxury and not complain too much.
But lets be honest here... it's just not working.  

If you happen to live local and you've seen me and the boys wondering around stores, without a cart, for hours at a time, just browsing, making small talk with whoever wants to chat, now you'll know why.

If you see me driving around the block with the windows up and the a/c blaring, and around, and around, and around the block once more, now you'll know why. 

We're not bored.
We're not lonely.
We're not weird. (Although some may beg to differ.)
We're just hot.
And we'll take relief in any form we can find.
Can't wait to see you, Mr. Air Conditioner Man.  Just be careful not to get soaked by a water balloon when you pull in our driveway.

9 comments:

Kim said...

Hoping it is up and running again soon. I feel you pain on this one, we don't have a/c, so I know exactly where you are coming from. Hang in there.

Melissa said...

Oh no! Been there, done that...last summer. We ran the sprinkler and sat under it in lawn chairs....it really was pleasant. Hope you get everything fixed soon!

Unknown said...

Oh no! I feel your pain. It happened to us last year. At one point it was 96 in the house. YIKES! Stay cool.

Tracey ~ Clover said...

Oh dear, I do know that feeling! I hope you are now reading this in the cool a/c and the heat is only a memory.

Amber said...

I love that title! We don't have air conditioning which most of the time is fine since Napa cools off at night nicely. But there is always a week that doesn't cool down and well, I feel your pain. We've been known to crash at my parents' house with their air conditioning. Hope the water balloons did the trick...

Linn @ The Home Project said...

Oh, that must be difficult! Heat is no fun! In Oregon it doesn't get that hot very often, but we have left in the middle of the night on a few of those rare occasions and gone to a 24 hour diner just to get some relief, so I certainly understand why you would walk aimlessly around and around! Water balloons seem like fun though! Just imagine back in the days when there was no air conditioning!

karen said...

I would have wilted then perished! I hate to be hot :( I hope that it is fixed by now!!!

Lisa Coffee said...

Oh goodness! I hope it's been fixed by now! I've lived for years without a/c and even though I hate to run it, I love it too! I'm visualizing you standing on top of your vent as the first cool breezes start to blow, then offering your fix-it fella a cold one!

Anonymous said...

summer is certainly here! I've been flirting with the water balloons that always seem to be by the check out these days in the store. We haven't exactly hit high numbers yet here in the PNW, but when we do, I'm ganna have to follow your steps!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...